Theatre Productions Final Bow of 2017

“Death By Dessert” is Gorzycki’s last show of the year

Photo by Austin C.

Eighth Graders Blake G, Connor S, Carli V, Macy S, and Kaitlyn J in Death By Dessert

Austin C., Copy Editor

Recently, the Theatre Production students have begun working on their third and final major show, “Death By Dessert”, a “dinner theatre” show, meaning that the audience will be fed during the show, as the plot unfolds in front of them. The show will wrap up Friday, May 19.

Photo by Austin C.
Eighth Graders Wyatt H. and Alyssa S. play Busboy and Busgirl, the romance of the story.

Eighth grader Blake G. plays Don, a shady and mysterious restaurateur, and one of the main leads of the show. He doesn’t plan to continue theatre due to a busy sports schedule in High School, so he considers this to be his final performance. Blake describes what he is most excited about for this show.

“I’ve never had a role this big, so I’m really excited to get out there on stage one last time and give it my all.” Blake said. 

I’m really excited to get out there on stage one last time and give it my all.

— Blake G.

Donna, another serious restaurateur, and Dons arch rival, owns a nearly identical restaurant to Dons, and the two fight constantly. When the landlord of the building that holds both restaurants is mysteriously killed, who should own the building is heavily debated between them. Seventh Grader Morgan G. plays Donna, and discusses some challenges in performing this show.

“The biggest challenge in this role is probably the [italian] accent, that’s pretty difficult for me,” Morgan said. “Previous shows I’ve done haven’t been as serious, aggressive comedy, the characters I’ve played have been more loose and energetic. My character is more down low and all business.”

Eighth Grader Carli V. plays Maria, the landlord of the building. Carli describers the importance of the character, and how she can relate to her.

“The show is a murder mystery, and she’s the one who dies,” Carli said. “She comes back through flashbacks and ‘breaking the fourth wall’ throughout the whole show, connecting with the audience to try and figure who killed her. Maria is really spunky, even though she’s an older character. She’s got a certain quirky sass about her, which I think I can relate to. Without Maria, there wouldn’t really be a show.”

Photo by Austin C.
Eighth Graders Connor S. and Macy S. arguing as Nino and Nina, rival chefs

Theatre teacher and director Leslie Zimmerman talks why people should go and see the show.

You really get to see all of the young actors getting into their characters and bringing them to life onstage.

— Leslie Zimmerman

“It has that family dinner aspect, the audience feels much more like a part of the show, more than they would during a large-scale musical where you have so many people in the audience,” Zimmerman said. “Dinner theatre is just going to be a really amazing experience, for both the performers and the audience. I love how everything is coming together, you really get to see all of the young actors getting into their characters and bringing them to life onstage.”