The Little Mermaid Cast Announced

Hanna K. and Jack B.

The Little Mermaid is a musical that the Gorzycki students are going to be performing this year. The students found out their roles on Friday, December 4.

Choosing the right musical for Gorzycki can be a very tedious process, and it can take a very long time. Michelle Huerta, one of the theater directors, explains how she comes up with her ideas.

“We were looking at a lot of different scripts, and I go to New York every summer to get inspiration from the Broadway shows that I watch,” Huerta said. “We chose the Little Mermaid because I really wanted to do the underwater part, and we already have mermaid costumes.”

Seventh Grader Carli V. was in the musical last year, and she loved the experience and working with friends. This year she will be Sebastian.  

“I enjoy acting because I love being the center of attention,” Carli said. “I like it when people watch me on stage, and also because you get to be someone else for a little while.”

There are many roles in the Little Mermaid, and one of the main characters is Flounder. Seventh Grader Kellen W., said that he’s always been interested in acting because his dad got him into it.

“When I was auditioning, I felt really nervous but I was really excited at the same time.” Kellen said.

Eighth Grader Gabe J., in the role of Scuttle, said that he has been interested in theatre since last year, when he watched High School Musical.

“I’ve never tried theatere before, but I think it’s really fun,” Gabe said. “I really like it so far, and I think it’s a great first time experience.”

Students’ favorite parts of the musical might be acting, friends, and etc., but Huerta explains what her favorite part is.

“My favorite part about doing a musical is after the show,” Huerta said. “We have something called the Good Show Circle, and that’s where everyone talks about what’s meant to  them to be a part of the musical. It’s my favorite part because it always surprises me of what the students always say.”

Students have had a few rehearsals so far, and they’re performing the musical on February 25-27 at 7:00 pm with one show at 2:00 pm on Saturday the 27.