Weight It Out: Remodel Finishes

Photo by Reagan Z.

The seventh grade girls Athletics class works out in the newly remodeled weight room.

Over the summer, changes were made to the weight room. Two walls were torn down to make extra space for the athletes during their workout sessions. In addition to the extra space, extra machines were added to exercise different parts of your body. The weight room was available to students in athletics, and strength and conditioning as of November first.

The new equipment will affect the ways students work out, and their routine when in the weight room.

“Now we have more weights and machines, and the athletes can build more muscles and be in smaller groups,” Athletics Coach Kim K. said.

Injuries often occur when lifting weights, especially with things such as a bench press where the bar can easily fall on your throat or head. Eighth grader William F. expresses his opinion on lifting weights during playing season

“It can be good and bad. You can stay conditioned, but accidents can happen if you push yourself too hard. If it’s before an important game, that would be bad” William said.

Although there is a possibility of getting seriously injured, students like seventh grader John S. think it is worth it since it’s a good habit to grow, and you’re more likely to keep lifting weights as you get older.

“You are learning fundamentals and since you’re learning them here you will know more in high school and your adult life.” John said.

When athletes do not visit the weight room, they go outside on the track and run for the class period. John expresses his opinion on how beneficial they are in comparison to each other.

“There’s different benefits to doing both of them. When you’re lifting weights you can work on arms, legs and the rest of your body, and with running you’re only working on legs and not your arms, so it’s not as beneficial. But you should do both to balance them out.” John said.

Overall, students love the new weight room, and can’t wait to see what the new school year has in store for the athletes involving the weight room.