A Day of Thanks

Lilly Y and Sydney H

Thanksgiving is a holiday that students celebrate to give thanks with their family and friends. Thanksgiving is celebrated in a variety of places, and will occur on November 26 this year.

Eighth grader Paige Oldham has a unique family tradition. “Every year, [my family] eats food, and [we] see who gained the most weight,” Oldham said. “My brother normally wins.”

Thanksgiving, along with giving thanks, is recognized for the diversity of food. Turkey, stuffing, and pie are some of the most common foods eaten on Thanksgiving. Even though pumpkin pie is her favorite Thanksgiving food, Oldham shares her best memory about stuffing.

“My mom dropped the stuffing on the floor, and I still ate it because I love stuffing,” Oldham said.

Students have Thanksgiving traditions and unique ways of celebrating the holiday. Sixth grader Richard Roberson goes to see his family every year.

“I go out to James Bayou [in] Shreveport, Louisiana,” Roberson said. “I go to the lake house, and [I get to] see my grandparents and uncles.”

Other students have their favorite Thanksgiving memories as well.

“My favorite memory was when my uncle threw me into the pool because I punched him in the arm,” Seventh grader Jackson Hirsch said.

Even though Thanksgiving is full of traditions, sometimes people like to switch it up. Eighth grader Kat Rogers mentions a time when she changed her family tradition one year.

“Usually, I go over to my grandma’s house in Blanco, and she cooks the whole Thanksgiving dinner by herself,” Rogers said. “To thank her, we all go over, [but] four years ago, we had Thanksgiving at our house. Me and my dad cooked the whole thing by ourselves.”

Some students have had bad memories even though Thanksgiving is supposed to be a happy time. Hirsch shares his worst memory.

“My worst memory was when my uncle gave me a swirly,” Hirsch said. “He put my head down the toilet and flushed it.”

Thanksgiving is one of the holidays that is not always most looked forward to, but Roberson thinks differently.

“It doesn’t get enough credit, I think it’s important because you get to see your family once a year,” Roberson said. “It’s kind of like a family reunion.”

Students will only be required to go to school on Monday and Tuesday of Thanksgiving week, and they will get the rest of the week off.