Editorial: Flipping Out? More Classes Should Be Flipped

Photo by Ashley J.

Ashley J., Editor

Some teachers prefer to run their classes with a flipped class strategy.This is when teachers assign homework to do in class, leaving it up to the students to take their notes at home. Many students enjoy this instead of having a worksheet to do at home. More teachers at Gorzycki should consider doing flipped class.

If students take their notes at home they will be the ones to determine the quality of notes they take. This could be good for the students who can’t go as fast in class or are having trouble keeping up. They can take their time to completely understand the topic. On the other hand, students who work very fast and already know can take quick notes and not take up a whole class listening to stuff they already know.

Several times students have been stuck at home asking parents, who may not know what they are learning, for help on their homework. With flipped class, they can ask their teacher for help and not have to stress out because they couldn’t understand what was going on in class. Also, students wouldn’t have to worry about turning in something they think is wrong.

Another reason is that many students have activities to do that take up most of their time after school. Some students do many extra-curricular activities which is also time consuming. Taking notes is typically faster than doing a homework assignment which can relieve students from stress.

If students decide not to take good notes it will directly affect how well they do in class. First of all, teachers could do note checks and if you don’t take notes that will affect your grade. Also, you would have to spend your class time taking notes and not doing the homework you should be doing in class. If you take your notes then you can do your homework in class and get any help you need from the teacher.
Having flipped class could improve student’s understanding of individual topics and homework. More teachers at Gorzycki should take on this teaching strategy to help students succeed in class.