Documentary Focuses On Screen Time

Photo by Amy B.

For the first time, the school had all students watch the same documentary. On January 23 and 24, all students were required to watch a documentary called “Screenagers.” The film focuses on how many parents struggle with their teens’ social media use and internet addictions, and how kids can find balance between online and real life.
“I hope that students will take the time to stop and think about how much time they spend on devices,” sixth grade Counselor Patti Hodges said. ”They need to talk to their parents so they can start setting guidelines in order to be healthy.”
The documentary spoke about how many teens are constantly on their devices.
“I do think teens are addicted to their devices, but I think it is different for boys and girls,” Principal Cathryn Mitchell said. “Girls love to post pictures and share them with their friends to connect. The boys, however, are always playing games. I think they love that constant gratification, but it isn’t just kids who are addicted. Many adults are addicted too.”
Some students think the documentary could be made more realistic.

“I agree that teens do spend a lot of time on their devices, but they made it seem like all we did was go on our phones.”

— Brandon M.

“I agree that teens do spend a lot of time on their devices, but they made it seem like all we did was go on our phones,” seventh grader Brandon M. said. “We don’t spend all of our time on electronics. We do other things, not just play on devices 24/7. Most kids are also pretty active so I thought it was a little inaccurate and dramatic.”
The film portrayed an important message, and many students and administrators had different interpretations of it.
“I think that the message was to try and teach people that there is so much more happening to kids addicted to their phones,” sixth grader Weslie W. said. “It goes so far beyond just what is happening on their screen.”
The purpose of the documentary was to make everyone aware of their phone usage.
“I think the message was everything in life is in moderation,” Hodges said. “You can’t have chocolate everyday, you can’t have ice cream every day, and it’s the same thing with phones. You have to have self-control and monitor yourself.”

Screenagers phone photo by editors Audrey S. and Delayna F.

The administrators hoped that students would rethink how much time they are on screens of any kind after being informed on the subject through the film.
“I think that ‘Screenagers’ made everyone aware of the positives and negatives of using devices and social media, especially the negatives,” Mitchell said. “I have found that people will say much more mean things over text than they would face to face. It’s easier to be mean when the person is not right there in front of you. Kids need to learn that there are consequences for being rude on their devices. I think it also helps to remind everyone to find a balance between social media and real life.”

105 students polled. Designs by Jade E., Sophie M., Sadie B., Katie J. and Sierra G.