Seventh Graders take on I-search

Keira F. and Isabella G.

I-Search is a mandatory project for all seventh graders that takes about two months to complete. Many students have unique topics and ideas.

“My I-Search topic is cholera,” seventh grader Ian C. said. “I picked this topic because I wanted to learn about a disease I have heard of, but did not know much about.”

Daniel B. on the other hand is doing his project on Polio which is when your brain vessels stop working and can cause you to become paralyzed. Polio is given to people by contaminated food, water, or other infected people. Daniel explains some hardships that come with his I-Search project.

“The I-Search project I am doing is difficult because,[you can hardly] find facts about Polio,” seventh grader Daniel said.

Students only have to do one I-Search project this year unlike other years where students had to do two. Even though I-Search can still seem tough, there are things you can learn from doing I-Search such as time management.

“My experience with I-Search has been interesting and I have learned about the difference between a normal brain and a brain with a concussion,” Campbell H. said.

Some students are going more indepth with their I-Search topic and learning more about it. Anna explains one of the most interesting facts she has learned during her research about skin layers and skin cells.

“One of the most interesting facts I have learned is that when you put on sunscreen it only blocks half of the UVA rays from your skin,” Anna said.

Daniel has good facts, but has a better reason why he chose his topic, Polio.

“I picked the topic Polio because, while I was researching for ideas, I saw a sad story about a girl with Polio and how it affected her life,” Daniel said.

Students must create a model that relates to their topic. Campbell explains how she is going to create her model.

“I’m going to make a model of the brain with one half normal and the other half have a brain concussion,”Campbell said, “The side that has a concussion will be damaged.”

For incoming 7th graders I-Search may seem like a big project and that it will take forever, but I-Search can help you learn more.

“My advice for the incoming 7th graders is that you shouldn’t stress because, you have two months to complete the project which is enough time if you stay on top of it,” Ian said.