Greenbelt Expands Even More

Photo by Reagan Z.

Reagan Z., Staff Writer

The greenbelt has been open for years and is continuing to grow. The Violet Crown Trail has just recently announced that the trail will soon be 30 miles long. Seventh grader Laura M. explains why she first went to the greenbelt.

“I first went to the greenbelt because I had heard about it through some friends who said it would be something fun to do any day during the summer,” Laura said

At the greenbelt you can do many activities such as hiking and swimming. 7th grader Ella M. says what they most enjoy doing at the greenbelt.

“I like going to the greenbelt because I can go there with anyone, but I especially like going with my dog and friends so we can all go swim and hike,” Ella said.

The Greenbelt is available to go to year round, sixth grader Alex P. thinks it’s best to go during summer.

“I’d say summer because the trees look beautiful and there’s lots of shade, and I just think it’s the perfect time to go there because there’s not much rain,” Alex said.

There are other hiking trails in Austin such as Slaughter Creek Trail and River Place Nature Trail. Ella says why she prefer the Barton Creek Greenbelt over the other options.

“I like the Barton Creek Greenbelt because you have a lot more freedom and can also go swimming opposed to just hiking,” Ella said.

When at the greenbelt you have to sometimes climb up steep rocks or walk over puddles of water. 8th grader Amanda N. gives her advice to students going for the first time.

“I would tell others to wear chacos because there’s a lot of hiking and they’re comfortable when you do stuff like that,” Amanda said.

The Greenbelt is a great place to create fun memories, Laura shares her most memorable experience at the greenbelt.

“I went to this watering hole and there was this big rock and you could jump off of it and i did a belly flop and my stomach got really red and I had to go home.” Laura said

Many students like the greenbelt because of it’s many nature attributes, Amanda explains why they would recommend it.

“I would recommend the greenbelt because you can go with anyone and always enjoyable,” Amanda said.