Schlitterbahn Snags Students’ Summertime

Navya S. and Maya L.

Schlitterbahn is a water amusement park that started in New Braunfels, Texas. The word Schlitterbahn is German, and means “slippery road.” Schlitterbahn was founded in 1979 and is located in five destinations over the U.S. The one closest to Austin is the park in New Braunfels. Eighth grader Hannah DaSilva explains the first time she visited Schlitterbahn.

“[My family and I] first went to Schlitterbahn because we got tickets at a fundraiser, and we went over the summer for my birthday,” DaSilva said.

In 2016, an estimate of 30,000 injuries were due to accidents in amusement parks. Sixth grader Connor Nauert and seventh grader Lauren De La Cerda explain how safe they think Schlitterbahn is.

“I think Schlitterbahn is safe,” Nauert explains, “The rides are very supported, there is a lot of security, and the water is clean.”

“I don’t think Schlitterbahn is very safe because some rides are very tall and unstable,” De La Cerda said.

Schlitterbahn has a lot of competition from amusement parks around the world, such as Six Flags. Sixth grader Riley Padgett describes how Schlitterbahn is different from other parks.

“Schlitterbahn is different from other parks because it’s a lot bigger, there are two sections, and it’s really fun and big,” Padgett explains.

There are many things to do at Schlitterbahn, from riding crazy waterslides to relaxing in a hot tub with your friends. Students explain what their favorite thing to do at Schlitterbahn is.

“The Master Blaster is a lot of fun and there is also this obstacle course on the water that I really enjoyed,” Da Silva said.

On average, one million people go to visit Schlitterbahn every year. Students explain their opinions on the crowds, and if they would change anything about Schlitterbahn.

“There is nothing I would change about Schlitterbahn,” Nauert said, “It can be a little crowded sometimes, but if one ride isn’t open or the line is too long, you can go and do something else and come back later.”

De La Cerda explains her opinion on Schlitterbahn and if she would recommend it to other people.

“I do recommend Schlitterbahn but at the same time I don’t,” De La Cerda explains, “It’s kind of like a love-hate thing because I don’t like the high rides there, but there are a couple other slower ones for people who don’t like roller coasters that I think are really fun.”