Students Who Made The Move to Austin

Students Who Made The Move to Austin

Caden C. and Tate S.

From Japan to the Middle East, to even from another state, Gorzycki is made of many students who came to Austin from around the world. Some moved to live closer to family in the United States, and some came here because of a parent’s new job. 

Sixth grader Connor T. moved from the United Arab Emirates about 2 years ago. The UAE is a federation of seven states in the Middle East. Connor explains what the country was like and his favorite thing there.

“It was a rich country with a whole different culture, and my favorite thing there was the amusement parks my family went to often,” said Connor

Seventh grader Carson C. used to live in Malibu, California, but came to Austin four and a half years ago. Carson explains the difference between Texas and California.

“The attitude, houses, and people are different,” Carson said. “There aren’t many beaches in Texas I go to, compared to California, where I went to a beach around Malibu every day.”

Eighth grader Risako N. moved from Saitama, Japan to Austin, Texas when she was a baby, so she doesn’t remember much of where she grew up. Nishiyama tells us what she has learned about her Japanese culture after moving to Austin.

“My parents told me there was a lot of unique nature and food back home,” Risako said, “I’m also fluent in the Japanese language, now that my parents have taught me.”

Sixth grader Suhun K. moved all the way from South Korea about a year and a month ago. Suhun had to learn how to speak English because he didn’t know much when he first started. Suhun tells us what it was like having to learn another language.

“When I moved here, I didn’t know the language well and got frustrated, but now I can  speak fluently with my family and friends,” Suhun said.

Suhun K. and Risako N. both moved here because of their parent’s new jobs. Suhun and Risako explain what new jobs their parents got when they moved to Austin.

“My father got a job offer as a neuroscientist at John Hopkins University in Maryland, and then he got a new job in Austin,” Risako said.

“My dad got a job at West Coast Quartz here in Austin, so we had to move here,” Suhun said.

Students express how they feel about living in Austin.

“On my first day of school, I was really nervous,” Connor T. said. “Now I’ve gotten used to Gorzycki by making new friends, even though I knew I would be leaving some back home behind.”